Sunday, October 12, 2014

Moving Target....

Day 56 post-chemo and still NO recovery of my bone marrow. Almost 2 months later. A serious issue. I am now getting by on blood transfusion every 3-4 days.
At Conference on Wed they decided to forego the now "Mini" transplant option in favor of the DLI plan again. The thought being I may still benefit from DLI, and DLI would still leave the door open for a mini-transplant as a last option if DLI should fail. There is however concern that I am now Aplastic Anemic with empty marrow. There is also a significant likelihood that DLI will bring on Graft vs Host Disease (GvHD) which comes hand in hand with the desired Graft vs Leukemia (GvL) effect. The GvHD alone will be the dangerous part for me. Simply because I am already so unbelievably vulnerable with absolutely no protection whatsoever. A VERY key note here: I will not be getting new Stem Cells. This is Donor Lymphocyte cells only - which, in theory, is supposed to fight any budding or residual Leukemia . This procedure will make my blood counts even lower BUT will not make my bone marrow recover.
A friend Daryl found the below link from a UK Leukemia organization which simply explains DLI in very "dumbed-down" terms;  it's process, side effects, management, etc. However, because I am apparently breaking new ground for both SCCA and the typical DLI protocol, this makes my particular DLI a completely different Beast....
https://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/sites/default/files/donor_lymphocyte_infusion_jan_2012_0.pdf 
The above link is also attached in the column to the right under "Critical Links"
Game plan:  Bruce, my lovely donor, is lined-up to donate on Thurs in the Mid-West. His Lymphocyte cells will be flown here overnight and I will receive his transfusion on Friday Oct 17th. Altho I am of the mind-set to maybe wait a little longer for any possible marrow recovery, it was decided at Conference on Wed to proceed sooner rather than later due to the danger the overly aggressive chemo may potentially bring with it a new round of Leukemia.

No comments: