Thursday, October 2, 2014

DLI cancelled - Not Good

Day 45, post-chemo #2:
Yesterday's results:  STILL no cell recovery ! Bone marrow completely empty.  stunning.  speechless.
DLI has now been cancelled. I am no longer eligible. And I now have a new disease: Aplastic Anemia - bone marrow failure. Politely informed at yesterday's appointment due to the overly aggressive 2nd round of chemotherapy.  This I already knew...deep in my heart.
Plan (?) is in significant flux. SCCA is pushing a Mini-Transplant now - something I've always been profoundly leery of.  Super low intensity - will it even work ?
Question now: just how in the hell do we proceed ?  Because my Marrow is already empty I'm actually already at the point where stem cells would be infused. How long do we wait ? Do we do a smaller dose of perhaps a cleansing Chemo - causing even more damage ? Do we use my original donor Bruce - ready to go & whom my cells over-took & already relapsed once with ? Do we work-up 1 or 2 of the 30 new matches found instead, praying they will populate, hence less fear of a relapse ? Do we have the time ? Is a Mini Transplant even strong enough ?
I am now treading in new waters. So much so that they are presenting my case to PCC on Wed  (aka: Case Conference, a large meeting of the physician minds bouncing ideas off each other about difficult/rare cases).
Crap. Looking Grim....    & not happy.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

Hang in there, K! We're praying for ya. Stay angry. I always knew that it would take the best minds to work of YOUR "special case." (Of all the times to be unique, eh?)

Ba said...

Love you Kristina.
I Believe!!