Monday, September 8, 2014

Still Home & crossing fingers....

The following was written on 9/6 but not completed:
15 day's post-chemo, white blood cells and neutrophils at 0 (nader), and still hanging in there !  Feel super weak, enough so that it's surprising even me. I find it a bit difficult to walk & talk at the same time, breathlessness, and it's a bit sobering. That's never happened to me before. I still have about 5 or 6 days left of feeling like Crap (and everything tasting like salty burnt metal) until my levels start trending up again.  It's really rather strange, and a fare bit discombobulating being home during this part of chemo. I've never been discharged this early in a cycle. A plan not very well thought out - especially before a long holiday weekend. I find myself slipping easily into post-chemo more relaxed parameters and behavior before quickly realizing I am ridiculously vulnerable. To Everything !!
Though we've requested - on numerous occasions - an SCCA required consult to discuss Transplant vs. DLI, we've been dismayed that there has been no word or contact from the Transplant team, nor anything scheduled yet. Obviously this is a time sensitive situation. Apparently it was mistakenly assumed that I was going directly to DLI. Why... I'm not quite sure. We are in the process of trying to correct this immediately. A consult appt was finally made on Thurs for Oct 2 however this is way too far out. I was informed it would likely result in a 3rd round of chemo. Something I will NOT even consider. There was a potential of a Sept 22 appt but this too is far out. Unfortunately I've had to go out-side-the-box in order to get scheduled as soon as possible, hopefully this Wed (?). Something is presently in the works thru a friend... So keeping fingers crossed and holding breath this one will work out.
Since being discharged I've had a couple of platelet and red blood cell transfusions as an out-patient at SCCA. I've been receiving O+ and was curious about this. Interestingly, I was born B+ but my donor Bruce is A+. After transplant was complete I too became A+. Receiving O+ is fine and apparently more common and equally compatible with A+. However a friend joked she was going to get me a tee-shirt to wear saying "My blood type is A+"....just to keep things clarified.  = ) 



No comments: