Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Kristina was discharged today! I spoke with her last night, but my life got in the way of posting until now. The best news, besides the fact that she gets to sleep in her own bed tonight, is that her bone marrow biopsy was yesterday and her preliminary results showed REMISSION - no abnormal myeloid blast, monocyte, or myeloid population identified! In medi-speak - "There is no immnophenotypic evidence of residual acute myeloid leukemia (AML) by flow cytometry. Correlation of these findings with morphology is recommended"  The last sentence is a disclaimer all reading pathologists place on their findings.  In layman's terms - GREAT F'ING NEWS!  This does not mean she is out of the woods by any stretch, but it does mean this round of chemotherapy did exactly what it was supposed to.  Her next round is designed to keep her in this remission and then head her toward the bone marrow transplant.

She was tired, but relieved and happy to be going home, though a big disenchanted by the fact that she has to continue her IV antibiotic infusions for some days yet.  I am sure she is looking forward to some quiet time without poking and prodding every hour.

Another update - shocking to anyone who knows Kristina - she is now the owner of a brand new Facebook page! I set one up in her name in order to lead into a "Go Fund Me" page to help acquire funds to offset her mounting medical/insurance expenses.  If you are a Facebooker - friend her, and me if you like!  Be aware that right now Kristin Munnell and I are managing her page so if you send any posts, etc., we will be the ones responding to them until we get her Facebook trained!

Happy Hump Day friends - keep those positive thoughts flowing and as Kristina says "to life"!
Neva

4 comments:

Loic said...

Hi Neva, K,

Thanks for the update. I'm so happy for you. I was planning to come and see you at the hospital but I'm happy I can't :)
Send me your address so that I can come and visit.

slowney said...

Great news. Sending prayers and healing energy.

Monica Kenny said...

Absolutely the best news I've heard today. Yeah!,,,

Anonymous said...

Hi Neva and Kristin,

Yes, thank you for the update. I was planning on coming by tomorrow and read that Kristina was discharged. Great news! Could we get your address as well?

Love, Kim M.