Friday, November 14, 2014

Today is my 7th Birthday

Go Figure.
We transplant patients always recognize two birthday's each year. One biological, the other donor gifted. We acknowledge what our donors bestow upon us during the transplants that literally gave us our lives back. Without them not only would we not be here but likewise we wouldn't be the walking medical miracles that we are. On this day I have always honored my donor Bruce tremendously. Simply because he made a difference. A Huge difference... in my life.
Amongst all the unknown, as I move thru treatment this second time around, this date, such a monumental milestone, I had completely forgotten about until I was on the 5th floor late yesterday afternoon. As the staff was confirming all my identifying info, including the date, (for yet another added-on platelet transfusion) it occurred to me that November 14th - Today - is my second post-original transplant "re-Birth" date. I am now officially 7 years old. Seven beautiful, enlightened, active, sweet air breathing, years old. Thank you Bruce.
In commemorating this day, for the past six years I have always sent Bruce a Thank you / Happy Birthday note. This time, with everything that is going on, it simply slipped my mind. I feel awful. Both he & his wife Beth have stood by me, listened to me, supported me throughout this horrible relapse. I can't believe I forgot such a monumental day in my life. I can't believe I'm fighting against this thing again. And still, Bruce donated....yet again, his T-cells. Go Figure.....
To Bruce.
To Life.
Cheers !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristina,
With all that you have on your mind and what is going on in your body, I'm sure they will understand. Stay strong and positive. Don't let something like this get you down. As all of your friends know, you have such a kind heart. Give yourself some slack. Congrats on the seven year mark. Let's multiply that many times over. Big hugs to you. Stacie