Saturday, December 22, 2007

What Kristina Said at the Fundraiser

Well, this is what she meant to say. It was quite a thing for her to even get up on that stage, she snuck in and out of there in a flash (and in lots of protective clothing), and she forgot some of this. So I asked her to send it to me, and here it is. As she said, "Simply reading the below it doesn't do justice to what I was feeling throbbing thru my heart.....and my soul. Don't know if it will convey that...."

-----

There's a few things I must say. And.....I....have to say them. They simply can't come from anyone else, they need to be in my voice, from me....from MY heart......

Ya know how we always think THIS happens to “OTHER” people….. Well the truth is….it simply doesn't ! It mostly happens to those you least expect it to…..and it’s utterly devastating when it does. After numerous stumbling blocks, I was unbelievably lucky. Fact is, I'm a generic white chick from Northern Europe. I had a number of “possible” Donor’s. What happens if you are ½ Nepalese and ½ Irish ? Or half German & half Nigerian ? You wait…..and you wait, as long as you can, and every year some die….waiting. Even children. Minorities especially exist in a precarious danger zone. Please donate blood, but please go one step further and do the simple cheek swab…..and maybe save someone’s life. PLEASE.

The Research, Knowledge and Care that go into every aspect of a Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant is awesome thing. Not that long ago, I truly would have been a girl in a bubble. Please…..everyone in the room acknowledge what the people from UW Med Center, Fred Hutch & Seattle Cancer Care Alliance do for a living….because they truly are intragal (sp???) parts of miracles on an every day basis. Cheers to them !

I’m not here for me….. I’m truly here for all of you…to Thank You and Honor you. My friends… and those that I don’t even know… that out of the greatness of their hearts, were involved in anything having to do with helping me. It truly does take a Village…..and you have all built my Universe......... For this I truly honor all of you.

From the beginning…not all of you even knew each other : from far different walks of life, as well as dramatically different parts of MY life. My greatest joy has been witnessing the meetings of voices & e-mail addresses, all for the very first time….. and the now the connections that have been forged.

For those that don’t know me, I hope the sheen from my scalp is not blinding you. All of these bands, all of the musicians, are amazingly gentle and kind souls…..as well as phenomenally talented. They themselves are well worth the evening of entertainment without being graciously attached to my name….. I thank them for choosing to take part in this event. Please enjoy the music…and the collective talent !

Namaskar.

No comments: